Monday, August 12, 2013

Hello from the other side of the world!


I’ve now been in China for a little while, and I have to tell you that I love it!
There are always things that are just different enough to be a bit frustrating, but that is to be expected in any new culture.  The sounds – it is LOUD in China. Probably one of the loudest places I have been. The smells – some of them, well let’s just say they are not all that pleasant… but it is what it is. The tastes – OH MY GOSH, guys the food is amazing! I may not be saying that after my 425707084752nd Chinese meal, but it has so far been really good food. There are things I don’t like, like tofu, eggplant, or really really spicy things... but other than that everything has been pretty awesome. My chopsticks skills are improving, which is good. Cause without them I really couldn’t eat a whole lot.
The language is a barrier – a big one. I really am hoping to be able to learn enough to have some basic communication skills, cause Chinese is just so different from and language that I recognize that it’s hard to be able to communicate anything.
I have heard these first weeks talked about as the “honeymoon” phase – where everything is new and you just love it all. And while that may be part of why I love it so much here, that isn’t all of it. I do not believe that I would feel as comfortable and “at home” here if I was not supposed to be here. I am definitely not completely accustomed to this place – I still get really nervous crossing the street with a car coming at me, but I am getting better. I walked into the Wu Mart (a grocery store around the corner) today, and it just really felt normal. Normal is probably not a word that most people would describe a place like this, after coming from the West, but it is a word I have heard used several times by several different people within this group I am with. It is amazing how well we have all adjusted.
My team is awesome! I am truly blessed to have these wonderful ladies to spend this next year with. I will have to do a post on them sometime, but for now – just know they are all amazing and we have all bonded very well so far. 
My team - plus Joy and minus Alyssa and the kids
China is an adventure every day! A group of us went to find the forbidden city (not the word ‘find’)… because of the directions we were given on where to go in the city, it took us about 2.5 hrs just to find the place, then we got there and they told us that gate was closed we had to take the bus to the other side of the city so we could go in there… It was still a fun day, just a really long one – but, hey it’s a good story. 
The Forbidden City! We made it!

Most of the group - right before we left the City.


Today, Sarah and I (one of my teammates) went to the Silk market… don’t be fooled. It is NO market… it is a mall, a big mall. It was a bit overwhelming, but I got what a cam for – a purse – so it was at least a success. Then we went to Tian’anmen square and saw that. It was pretty crazy, there were people everywhere. Who knows what tomorrow holds….

Tian'anmen Square

I ask that you keep me in your thoughts, you are all in mine.
Hailey

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I kind of get what you're saying about normal. Some places feel like a second home when you arrive and it stays that way even after you leave. It's so nice to see your big smiling face on the other side of the world. Hope you know that we are thinking of you all the time. Always.

    - Kayla

    ReplyDelete