Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Winter Holiday Adventures

I'm going to go ahead and apologize for the mess of pictures, I can't get them to do what I want.


I know a lot of you "followed" me VIA facebook posts on my vacation around southeast Asia, but if you didn't - don't feel left out - I'm gonna catch you up on all I've been up to for the past month.

First, Lindsay and I headed out on a train to Beijing. We were able to stay in the Mac (a headquarters type building for my organization) with Joy and Katie and her friend Michelle (who was also visiting). We spent the week with these friends going ice chairing (a very dangerous activity), eating gigantic pizzas, amazing Italian food, watching movies, chatting, and spending time together. It was nice to live in Beijingica (that's America in Beijing - what we call the Mac) for a week. The Mac is very nice - they have heat so hot you have to turn the A/C on, bathtubs, overs, stoves, and dryers!! This is quite different from the China I live in.
After a week of fun in Beijing, we flew to Kuala Lumpur (KL), Malaysia. Warm weather and humidity!! I had missed it so much. One of the first things I noticed in Malaysia was that there were lots of different kind s of people and most of them spoke English.
For dinner that night we found a KFC where, for the first time since August, I was able to order my food in English! They even had actual mashed potatoes and gravy!!
Malaysian food is fantastic, the weather is perfect, and the people are so kind. While we were in KL we took a hop on, hop off bus tour of the city, went to a bird park (which was amazing!), went up to the top of the Petronas towers, got henna on our hands, and did a lot of shopping. Our time in KL was a lot of fun, but the next leg of our adventure promised to be just as fun.
We were headed to Phuket (poo-ket), Thailand. Our hostel was wonderful - the people that ran it were so nice and helpful. We were about 7 min. walk from the beach and the temperature was never under 90 degrees. Perfect!
In Phuket we went to the beach (a lot), snorkeled, pet tigers, celebrated Lindsay's birthday, and made some new friends along the way. 
One of my favorite things that Joy and I did almost every day, was get up early and go walking on the beach. We talked, saw some neat sea creatures, and collected seashells.
After the craziness (and interesting beachgoers) in Phuketm we headed north to Chiang Mai - a beautiful city in the mountains of Thailand. Our last stop. We arrived in town a few days before conference began - in those few days we got to eat some incredible Mexican food (probably mostly cause we hadn't had any in so long), spend the day riding elephants, and do laundry! Our day with the elephants is definitely one I will never forget - I won't go into detail here, but ask me about it some time, I'd love to tell you about it.
Then conference began. The reason we came all that way in the first place. The theme for the week was "He is worth it" and He so is! It was good and refreshing to be with people, so many people, who all love Him and do His work. ATC is also something I'd love to tell you about sometime.
Over the month I learned a lot about myself and a lot about Him. I saw things He created that were so small and yet so beautiful that made me realize how much he must love and care for me. I also saw things he created that were so big and magnificent I couldn't help but be in awe of Him.
He is SO worth it!!

If you want to see more pictures, check out my facebook albums...(it won't let me post the links here)
















Joy and I on our elephant



We love Malaysia, in our I love Malaysia shirts.

Malaysia, Joy, Me, and Lindsay on the beach in Phuket.



No comments:

Post a Comment